Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Farewell, Lolo.

My grandfather passed away last Wednesday. He had cancer and we were told he had a couple of months to live so it came as a shock that those months were shortened to just weeks. My biggest regret was that I wasn't able to talk to him before he left. I thought to myself that there will be time. I had several excuses for postponing my call, that work and Aqui was making us too busy, or that my pregnancy was difficult that I was tired all the time. Just excuses, really. Now that I think of it, I was scared. I wasn't ready to face the fact that my grandfather was dying.... And because I'm such a coward, I wasn't able to say goodbye.

My last dream before I woke up was of my grandfather. I dreamt that I went to our old house to drop off some food and as I was leaving, I heard my grandfather's voice calling, asking me "Are you not going to say goodbye to me?". I turned and saw him in his usual white sando and shorts, on a blue bed, beside some hospital equipment. I ran towards him, gave him a hug and walked away, waving goodbye as I said, "Bye bye Lolo.". And with that, I woke up with a shiver in my spine and cold sweat on my forehead.

Thank you Lolo for giving me a last chance to say goodbye.

2 comments:

  1. My Prayer's to Lolo Julio. I think the lesson there is even though yes we do have sometimes regrets and excuses which will later will go against us and sometimes blind us to see reality, still we must be happy and wish Him the best despite the pain. Life must go on and so with Lolo Julio's next life and for sure he'll be very happy if will remember him with peace and deep gratitude. He'll be part of my prayers every night before I sleep like with Nanay and Tatay and the rest who's now in the other abode.

    My best regards!
    yong-yong

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Prayers to Lolo Julio. I think the lesson there is even though yes we do have sometimes regrets and excuses which will later will go against us and sometimes blind us to see reality, still we must be happy and wish Him the best despite the pain. Life must go on and so with Lolo Julio's next life and for sure he'll be very happy if will remember him with peace and deep gratitude. He'll be part of my prayers every night before I sleep like with Nanay and Tatay and the rest who's now in the other abode.

    My best regards!
    yong-yong

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think!