Sunday, May 4, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I'm back from my hiatus again. It's been very busy the past few months that I had no time for blogging. So I'm just gonna write everything that happened in one go.

Residency

First things first. After the half year wait, we are now New Zealand residents! This was the dawning of a new day for us because it meant, we can now get a loan, which meant we can get a house! Ronnel and I have been wanting to have our own home ever since so that we can start our own family. I guess that's one in the short list of what he and I have in common. We are very good planners. He is the visionary whilst I'm into details. I remember the ordeal we went through looking for the perfect home. Buying a house here is so different from how we do it in the Philippines. In the Philippines, if you want to buy a house, just talk with the seller, agree about the price, and voila, it's yours. That's not how it works here. First, you'll have to check out several houses by attending open homes. We learned a lesson the hard way-- you must have a car when looking for a house to buy. The distance in a map is much farther than it seems. I remember when Ronnel and I had to walk long distances from one house to another at noon time (most open homes are on sundays midday-- don't ask me why). I think my calves are now cows with how big they became (yeah, lame joke). Plus, everybody who goes to an open home has a car... Well except us of course. I remember real estate agents asking us where we park, and we just smile in return. Anyway, we found the first potential perfect home and made an offer. Apparently, here you have to put down an offer first and if there is a better offer, then ofcourse you lose. We relied on the advice from the forums we frequent and gave a price which was below the seller's asking. It's not a surprise that we lost that one. Note to self: do not believe everyting written in the forums. Our second try was a bit different, this time we knew better so upped our offer a bit, but I guess it wasn't meant to be because the owner changed his mind and didn't want to sell his house anymore. Something good came out of that though coz the real estate agent helped us find our perfect home. My officemates told me that ofcourse, real estate agents will be nice because they want to sell you something. True, but we particularly liked this agent because she picked us up from our place, brought us to different houses and practically made house-hunting easy for us. She wasn't uppity or picky even when we had to sign papers on the floor (we had her drop by our flat -- and we didn't have tables in the lobby). And the most important thing, she brought us to this fabulous house in Johnsonville/Churton Park. It's in the boundary of these two suburbs so we have two addresses. That day, our agent brought us to three houses-- the first one was nice but it was in a difficult-access location. Plus, it had dog smell all over. The second house was the best we've seen so far. It was different from all the other houses in the market. First, it didn't really look like a house. From the outside, you'd think it was just this one-level warehouse looking thing. But when you go inside, you'll be enveloped in its charm as you go down a level and another and another. The backyard has an enchanting overlooking view of the city and best of all, it has a sun roof/skylight. I've never been inside a house with one before and I really wanted to have one with it when I saw Beyonce's house in MTV Cribs. It was really awesome but it was way over our budget. Anyway, after we saw the house, we were brought to another house which was within our $$range but paled in comparison to the previous one. We knew we just fell in love with the second house. After we looked at three houses, Ronnel and I had lunch and discussed what our options were. Apparently, he was besotted with the second house too and was already calculating how much we have to save if we wanted to get that house. It was really big for the two of us but we also had to consider friends who will be staying with us (read next section). The second house was the perfect fit for us because our friends can have a whole level to themselves. We would be living together but we wouldn't lose our privacy either. So, in front of our Chinese smorgasborg, we discussed what sacrifices we needed to make (translation-- I have to cut down on my shopping sprees.) I loved the house and I was all for it so there and then, I called the agent and we made an offer. This time we met the seller's asking price and even upped it a bit. There was competition so we had to make our best offer. It was the best we could give without turning into paupers. That was a Saturday. The following day, we went to church and prayed, hard that we get the house. The previous Sundays, we were unable to attend mass because the open homes were held on the same time. I was thinking maybe we were being reminded not to forget Him when making this important decision in our lives-- probably that's why we haven't found our dream house yet. This time we found it and we prayed hard for it to become a reality. It was Monday night when I got a call from my agent, she was shouting over the phone-- "You got the house! You got the house!". I was really happy when I heard that but it dawned on me-- shoot, I really have to cut my shopping down. I'll never gonna be able to change my phone anymore. But those are trivial, so I shook these thoughts away and focused on the most important thing-- we got a house now. But it's not done yet--there are still lots of things to do afterwards. First, we have to get a solicitor, then a loan, then a property inspector, then a valuer. Told you, it wasn't that simple. But for us, it was made easy because we had friends who helped us along the way. In every decision we had to make, I consulted with my own set of advisors at work. Sally, Dave and Kristan were my primary advisors due to proximity (we share a quadrant) while Maria and Alison were my senior consultants. They introduced me to the world of NZ real estate and its intricacies. They referred me to solicitors, mortgagors and building inspectors. I suppose we would have never survived the process if not for them. So guys, if you're reading this--- thanks!

Julypic6


Friends
Arnel and his family arrived in NZ last June 3. We were especially excited to have them here as we missed having people to talk to in our own language. Plus, I wanted to catch up with all the gossip that I missed. Arnel was my officemate (and my seamate) in Standard Chartered Malaysia and he and his family are our good friends. We spent Christmas and New Year's with them back when we were in Malaysia and we enjoyed their company a lot. Plus, we liked their kids a lot too-- Keith and Kylee. They're nicer than the average kids-- not unruly and very well mannered (although Kylie still screams at me when she gets jealous of Keith hanging around me). We saw ourselves in Arnel and his wife, Doyeth as we had so much in common--- we even decided that we were probably soulmate couples. So you'd understand how excited we were when we heard that they were coming over. We knew that they would come to love Wellington like we do. You see, Wellington is not a city for everybody. I heard some Filipinas from Singapore came here to work and after a few months got really bored and moved to Australia. If you are looking for hip and happening places, I tell you, you won't find it here. But don't get me wrong, Ronnel and I love it here. We don't get bored and we never run out of things to do-- especially now that we have a house of our own. Anyway, back to Arnel. Just as we were in Malaysia, we'll be officemates here too (But not seatmates anymore coz he's with a different team). His boss is really nice as he offered to drive us to the airport to pick them up. The company couldn't arrange a place for them to stay so we offered our place. At that time, we were sill staying in our teeny weeny flat and we were a bit worried that we won't fit. But with a bit of compromise and sacrifice, we all managed for three weeks. It just made us appreciate our new house so much more.

Julypic1 Julypic3 Julypic2_1 Julypic4


Julypic5

The Great Move
It was time to move to our new home. It was really exciting that Ronnel and I couldn't sleep the night before. To save moving costs, we asked friends for help. We are blessed with really good friends with big hearts (big arms and big cars too). The pretty wives (ehem, Doyeth and me) prepared lunch to fill the stomachs of our in-house moving team. It was a succesful transition, well, except for getting lost on our way to our new place-- but as the saying goes, try and try and you'll get there. And we did.

And the dust settles...
I think Arnel and his family are settling in quite well in Wellington. He is his usual self at work-- dedicated and hard-working (he paid me to write this). Keith started school and made new friends while Kylee has to wait a year before she can join Keith to school. I guess it's gonna be a bit tough on Doyeth coz she's left home while everybody's at work or in school. But I think she's not bored just yet with all the korean and japanese dramas I lent her. And who knows, she might decide to work too once Kylee goes to school? I guess the most important thing is that they are happy and that they don't regret leaving Malaysia to start a life in New Zealand. Well, I wish them all the best!

What's Next
Yeah, everybody's been asking me if I was pregnant already. The official answer is, as of now, No I'm not. I guess when it's meant to be, it will happen. It's not as if we aren't trying, so hold your horses, who knows, maybe next month, next next month.... Just drop in my blog once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!