Sunday, May 4, 2008

Three Years and Counting....

24 January 2007
Three Years. Wow. And everybody thought we wouldn't even last a week....

Yup, it's our third wedding anniversary today. And like any other day, Ronnel and I are so thankful that we've gone this far. Flashback 1998, when we first "officially" got together... Schoolmates and friends (respective sets) doubted we'd last for a week, then it became a month, then a year... whenever we broke up, a friend of mine will tell me, that we were never compatible in the first place. All advice I ever got was to move on and forget Ronnel. Well, as stubborn as I am, I accepted him whenever he came back. You see, I don't quit. I knew we could make it, and the more people tell me that we couldn't, the more I thought we would. Sounds like "You and Me Against the World" stuff? No, it's nothing dramatic as that. It was just a simple clash of personalities. We were so different from each other that people wondered what we ever talk about. I'm boisterous, he's quiet. I'm adventurous, he's not too fond of risks. I'm a big spender, he counts his pennies. I'm a dreamy romantic, he's the practical type. I'm not into any sports, he's the most sporty guy I've met. But that was then... over the years, we have made allowances, we have changed and met in the middle. Ronnel and I have taken each other's characteristics and melded it into our own. Make no mistake, we still have a lot of difference but it's fun to reminisce. So on our third anniversary, we had this set of questions that we answered and we're sharing them with you...

1) When was the first time that you saw me? What went through your mind then?

Nel: Probably when I applied for membership in JFA (UP Junior Finance Association), nothing fancy. Just wanted to get into a school organization as it would look good in my CV.
Einge: In a school activity, you were a contestant in a "beauty pageant" (they dressed up guys as girls for fun) and I thought, "I'd hate to be this guy's girlfriend. He's prettier than I am.".


2) When was the first time we actually met? What was your impression?

Nel: Can't remember. To be honest, I wasn't thinking of getting into a relationship that time. I was brokenhearted from several relationships. The only memory that I had is our summer class together. I didn't even know you were an officer in the organization.
Einge: Probably at the org, you were introduced to us as one of the org applicants. Other girls in the org "claimed" you as they had a crush on you and I thought you were obnoxious because you didn't talk to anybody.

3) When was the time you realized you wanted to be with me? Why?

Nel: Summer of '98. You were fun to be with. We were enjoying ourselves together. It was the first time I felt intimately connected with a girl.
Einge: When you told me you were going for a trip and you'll be gone for a couple of days and I realized I was gonna miss you. You said "I love you" then and I accidentally replied, "I love you too".

4) What were your thoughts during the early stages of our relationship? (While we were going out?) Did you think you'd end up being my husband/wife?

Nel: I didn't think much about the future of the relationship when we were starting. All I know is we enjoy each other's company and that we are extremely attracted to each other. You were the only one in my mind whom I would marry when we started working and saving for the future.
Einge: At first, no. I mean, we were complete opposites and I've seen that not working out for my parents so I was scared to make the same mistake. But over the years, I could see you change bit by bit.. more than that, I saw myself changing and I liked that too.

5) What are your thoughts now? Looking ahead...

Nel: I'm glad that all went well for us and that we still have each other despite the huge fights, misunderstandings and incompatibilities that we obviously have. All I'm thinking for the future is to have our own family. This is my ultimate dream for both of us.
Einge: I'm still overwhelmed with all the hurdles we overcame and the blessings that we've received so far. I know that there is Someone Up there looking out for us, looking after us. I also know that there will be more trials to come, more fights, more misunderstandings, but we will always make up in the end, because we simply cannot live without each other. 3rdanniv

3rdanniv2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you think!